Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two new juvies/beginner axie owner

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Hi. I bought 2 axies last saturday and put them in a tank I set up just an hour b4. I used tap water with an aquarium conditioner called prime. They eat bloodworms once or twice a day. I vacume the sand flooring each day and they seem to either be different on personality or maybe one is sick. My wild type (Aristotle) is chill and mellow and eats but not as aggressively as my leucistic (Apricot). Apticot is going crazy in the tank right now. Swiming quickly back and forth. I just came home so I don't know if she is doing it because I am near the tank or if he/she is stressed. She has a ferocious appetite:p and she is only swiming back and front where I am in front of the tank. What does this mean?? Do they have varying temperaments?? Also I have never done a ph test and change water 20% daily in 10 gallon filtered tank.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
60adc6e2692c9d1a5999c57d70ada8a0.jpg

Skudo09

Reaction score
They may take some time to settle in and may just be exploring their new home. Juveniles also tend to be more active.

As you had only set up the tank an hour before adding the axolotls your tank won't be cycled. You will need to monitor the water parameters very closely whilst the tank cycles so you don't expose the axolotls to toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite. Do you have a liquid testing kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as ph? You will need one if you don't have one already. If you are unsure of what cycling is, it is important that you read up on cycling as it is very important in maintaining good water quality. It is great that you are doing daily water changes whilst the tank cycles.

Also a ten gallon is ok for them whilst they are juveniles but it would be best to upgrade them to a larger tank as they do grow quickly and two axolotls in a ten gallon will be a bit crowded. some people say one axolotl per ten gallons but I prefer to go by floor space and length of the tank. I use the rule of one axolotl per foot of the tank plus one extra foot to allow for ornaments and other items in the tank. Upgrading to a bigger tank will also give you better control on water quality.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Thanks @skudo09. I am aware of what cycling is and I will have to use my next pay check for the water testing. When can I start giving them earthworms? These bloodworms are a pain to clean up even though I have a feeding bowl in the tank. I want to keep the mess to a minimal level so as not to cause too much toxicity. They are about 3.5 centimeters. How old is that? I will be getting a 20 gal long in a little bit. Thanks again.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I can't see any fungus.

3.5cm? Do you mean inches? Sorry I am confused as they look bigger than 3.5cm. They are beautiful axies by the way :). I fed mine earthworms from around 3 inches. I chopped the worms up if they were a bit big for them.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Lol. Yes I did mean inches. And thank u. I think they are gorgeous creatures. Im going to try the earthworms. Red worms seem to be what they like but I think their tank being clean in more important.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1