Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Injured leg, not sure what to do next

rachaelreid78

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new on here, but have been following lots of your advice for a while now and it's been so helpful since getting my axolotls last year, thankyou. I'm a bit stuck now though and would really appreciate some help. We have two axolotls, both approx 2 years old, a male golden albino and a female wild type. It's the female Luke I'm worried about (they were named Luke and Leia before we realised what sex they were, ho hum). The male can be a bit aggressive and Luke has had a few nips in the past, but nothing serious. However it looks like she has a nasty wound on her front leg which looks like it's gone a bit fungal. It was swollen but that has gone down a bit, but she's not using her leg and has gone right off her food. Think the last time she ate was prob over a week ago now, a few bloodworm which I think she vomited a couple of days later (hard to be sure it was her but am pretty sure). She was coming to the surface a lot and floating about and generally not looking well so I've taken her out and put her in the fridge for the last three days. I've also been doing salt baths for ten mins twice a day and while a tiny fungus patch on her tail seems to have cleared up I'm not convinced the leg looks any better. (See photo taken this morning). It looks pretty raggy and down to the bone (hadn't realised it was as bad as this when it initially looked swollen, it's only visible now it's gone down a bit - am kicking myself for not acting sooner and getting her in the fridge). Every time I salt bath/change her water I'm offering a piece of earthworm which she loves but she's not interested (I know this can happen with fridging, but am worried she's going to starve!)

Sorry this has been a bit of an epic - I suppose to summarise, what I'm asking is:
1) does it definitely look like fungus from the photo?
2) should I stop salt baths now it's been three days?
3) how long should I keep her in the fridge? When should I be really worried about her not eating?
4) is there anything else/better I can do?

Incidentally, I had noticed her gills had been getting smaller over the last few months (connected?). Before that, in December she laid some eggs so I had assumed she was pretty healthy). Also had tested water this week when she started looking unwell and ammonia, nitrites were fine, nitrates a little high but have done water changes, temp is around 19.

Would be so grateful for any advice. (Sorry this post is so long!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 301

LSuzuki

Reaction score
1) I think it is fungus, but I'm not sure.
2) I'd stop the salt baths and see what happens. But I don't have experience with serious injuries.
3) Keep her in the fridge for at least a couple of days and monitor her progress. Don't worry about her not eating while she is in there.
4) If there is a qualified vet in the area, I suggest taking Luke in. A vet could assess the injury and amputate if that is the best course of action, as well as providing antibiotics to treat any infection that may have developed. Also, he could assess those gills - they do look short.

If you can't do the vet, I suggest that after you take her out of the fridge, that she be kept in her own container with daily 100% water changes until she is 100% recovered. Then, a divider in the tank is highly recommended - some axies are just more aggressive to tank mates than others. Plus, too much egg laying can be bad for Luke''s health.

Good luck!

rachaelreid78

Reaction score
Hi Laura, thanks v much for your help. I will see if I can find a vet, and will definitely get a divider when (hopefully) luke has recovered. Fingers crossed, will ring around for a vet on Monday and just keep her in the fridge until then.

rachaelreid78

Reaction score
Just changed Luke's water and she seems to have a little more movement in her leg, hopefully this might be a good sign? Still looks furry though, is it worth trying to get rid of a bit of the fungus (I'm sure I read about using a cotton bud to gently remove it?) - don't want to cause her more harm though?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I would just leave it alone for now unless it starts to spread. Less stressful for you and Luke. If it starts to spread, you might want to try another salt bath.

rachaelreid78

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the advice, I will leave it for now, think I'm just getting impatient and feel like I need to be doing something!! hopefully will start to see an improvement in the fungus soon, just feel so sorry for her :(

rachaelreid78

Reaction score
Help!! haven't managed to find a vet who can have a look at Luke for me, will keep trying, but right now the fungus is definitely looking worse, doesn't seem to be spreading to other areas but the leg looks really furry. I gave two salt baths per day for three days and then one yesterday, should I repeat today? She's still in fridge. Am getting very worried.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1