Question: Residue?

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
So burrito's offspring have been doing well-i am seeing hind legs and 1 (who i have named quesadilla) is already 2 inches in length
they have taken to dead bloodworm chunks better than live blackworms (especially the albinos) and i am very satisfied with their growth
i clean the water each night but i have noticed whitish filmy residue on the floors of the containers
should i wipe this away tonight when i clean them?

Yes. A bacterial film develops, especially on plastic. Some people scrub and sterilize, I just wipe it of and rinse.

I haven't seen this happen with my baby axies (maybe because I don't let the film build up), but with bottom feeding fish fry, such as corydoras species, the fins that touch the bottom will be eaten away by the film. (They grow back once you start removing the film - voice of experience here.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back