Question: Baby axolotl not eaten for 3 days and stuck at 1.7cm

AxolotlManiac

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello, so I have a baby axolotl who's due to be 2 months old this Tuesday coming. Poco has stayed at 1.7cm for 2 weeks, he was eating daphnia, then tried chopped bloodworm and he refused it, then brine shrimp and he refuses this too... I honestly have no idea what to do?

Not had a fussy baby axolotl before, he may just begin to eventually eat again but isn't it at great risk when he's tiny?

His colourations coming through nicely, his little arms however have not got little fingers yet and theres no sign of back legs atal?

Poco gets daily water changes treated with aqua safe.

Thankyou in advance

Attachments

• WP_20150321_001.jpg
    WP_20150321_001.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 361
Sorry you haven't gotten a response sooner. There isn't alot you can do for one this small. It is possible that it might have a genetic issue.... in which case it will probably not make it.

Since it is so small, I would stick with freshly hatched bbs. Just see how it goes.
Make sure that you are correctly dosing the water conditioner. Hope it improves :)

I had a minuscule one once...I called it " tiny miracle"...... But only made it to about 5months....was still trying brine shrimps for it........good luck with yours

Thankyou for replying guys, haven't been on here for a while, poco sadly died, I think he was definitely too small ? it does suck, thankyou for your help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back