Axies first earthworm

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I gave my babies half an earthworm each for the first time yesterday. They loved it!!!:) I just got home and gave them the same amount after their feeding they have beed quite still. The only movement was when Apricot went crazy and swam around the tank like a bullet. Can the worms wiggling inside drive them crazy or make them still for a while???

I was advised by a member called Rachel to blanch the worms in hot water for a minute or two to remove there defensive slime coating and then I cut into one inch pieces. I also find they go crazy when they realize it's feeding time and are more still when they've been fed . Hope that helps

The earthworms I have don't slime up. They just still wiggle after being chopped up. I think my babies prefer live food.

If they eat them live then there is no need to blanch them. They are probably just sitting still digesting their food. They will become more lazy as they grow too. Axolotls tend to be quite lazy and will just sit still for lengths of time. Juveniles tend to be a little more active though. Apricot may have just been spooked by something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back