Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White furry fungus

axiebeans

Reaction score
I got a wild type axolotl about a month ago. He was a rescue. When i got him
his gills were destroyed and his tail was gone. He has bee regenerating quite nicely. Then some blood worms got in my filter where i could not see them. They started to decay and created a white fungus that has started growing on my lotl. I want to give him salt baths. His water is at 20 degrees Celsius and k would like to get him to a temperature of 6 or 7 for the fridge. How much should i change the temperature and how fast so i dont stress him to much? Also he only has 2 toes of his front right foot is this normal?

Last edited:

keiko

Reaction score
There are guides for both salt bathing and fridging in the stickies at the top. But it's not always necessary to fridge them during the salt treatment. If he's in a bad shape (lost legs, skinny etc.) it might be better to not fridge him because he'll need all the energy he can get and he won't eat while he's in the fridge. But it would be good to try to get the temp of his tank down by a few degrees.

If the toes have been eaten by a hungry tank mate they might still grow back. Or not. Some times they end up with funny little imperfect feet even after regeneration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!