Sick Axolotl Please Help

Hesper

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi this is my first time posting and I think my leucistic axolotl is sick ;( I noticed white things on his gills and I wonder if they are fungi or infections (see photo, sorry about the quality, I took them with my phone).

I keep my axolotl alone without any other animals in a tank with filter. I feed him with pellets that I bought from the pet shop and occasionally I also add slices of frozen prawn to his diet. I feed it once in two days and add clear water to his tank regularly. The room temperature is below 22 C.

Is there anything I could do? Please help

IMG_9629.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender copy.jpg

At the moment the fungus seems very minor
if your lucky maybe it'll go away by just making sure the tank
is very clean, keep an eye on it for now and keep us updated!

22 is absolutely at the high end though, you should probably try to keep it cooler than that with fans blowing into the tank and/or getting a screen/mesh lid to allow for more evaporation, the higher temperatures make them more susceptible to illness and fungus or so I understand, someone correct me if I'm wrong though!

I do think the fungus looks pretty minor if you're really concerned you can try to gently (really gently!) wipe it off with a q tip but just watch it for now, if it gets worse you could do a few salt baths but they're pretty harsh and irritating so use caution if you do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back