Question: Need advice on new aquarium

Rune

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be getting my aquarium on Friday and my axolotls as soon as the aquarium has been cycled. This is the first time I will be owning axolotls and anything aquatic. I have been doing extensive research to make sure I take care of them right! I still have a few inquiries however...

I want two axolotls and am going to be getting a 20 gallon tank, but if I can afford it a 30 gallon one. Will a 20 be sufficient for two or will a 30 be more ideal?

I am going to be using sand but I want colored sand. I heard Crayola makes an aquarium safe play sand. Has anyone used this with their axolotls? Is this a good idea or should I not try it to be on the safe side?

I'm still debating on whether I want live plants or fake ones. I'm leaning towards fake on the basis that they'd be cheaper with the option of getting live ones later on. Any opinions?

I'm not sure yet how summers and winters will affect my apartment and water temperature. I just moved to a new state. Should I get a heater and/or cooler in advance or wait and see?

Are there any brand recommendations for filters, bubblers, decorations, etc?

I want to make my new pets feel safe and happy and as stress free as possible. Thank you all in advance for your help and advice!

a 20 gallon should be fine for two axolotls but if you can afford a 30 gallon then you may as well. I haven't had experience with crayola sand but as fine silica based sand is the best. Although if your new axolotl is smaller than 5 inches it is advised to have bare bottom until they are at least that size. Don't get a heater. They don't need one and heaters can sometimes malfunction. Have a thermometer for the tank so you can accurately monitor the temperature and if you do find you need to cool it you could try fans and a mesh lid or if you need to cool the tank considerably it may be worth investing in a chiller although I do understand they are very pricey. Fake or love plants are fine either way but if using fake plants (or ornaments) make sure they don't any sharp edges. Personally I like real plants but I do have fake plants in my tank with a few live ones as well. I am not sure about brands but I have a canister filter and love it.

check out aucascapes on youtube first real plants are the way to go, just avoid ones that requier light

I've never had a canister filter, but I have had great success using ATI Pro Hydro sponge filters. I have both real & fake plants. Right now, I am loving floating salvinia & water hyacinth plants. Axolotls seem to feel more secure when there are floating plants in the tank. Real plants have the added benefit of improving water quality and providing beneficial bacteria to aid in cycling a new tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back