Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to keeping axotols new setup

Youcanhumpmyleg

Reaction score
Hi, got a 64litre tank with sand substrate a couple of tunnels moss balls, & other hiding places, it has two lights in the hood but won't be using them, temp is sat at 19c is this too high ? Ph is right just waiting for my master api kit to come along with some ammonia to start the cycle, I've had it up & running since last Saturday. I'm wanting two axotols when it's ready is 64 litre big enough? And how much ammonia do I need to use? Is there anything I'm missing ?
I've had a couple of aquariums before tropical so new to keeping these beautiful creatures :) any advice is appreciated x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allied123

Reaction score
The temp is a little high but seeing as you're using a hood you could easily fix this simply by getting a screen/mesh hood and a fan and could probably bring the temp down a few degrees. However, people usually say a 20 gallon long would be the bare minimum for one adult and then add 10 gallons per axie but 20 long for 2 is okay I think (I actually have two 1 year olds in a 20 long right now) but for juvies what you have would be okay if you can't upgrade right away.

charleybambino

Reaction score
Regarding your tank size...I have two males...one aged 2 and one aged 6 in a 54 litre tank....and spend 90 per cent of their time together in one hide!!

Youcanhumpmyleg

Reaction score
Thanks, the hood is attached to the tank but I could always just leave it up and get a plastic cover, are the fans expensive ? I'm surprised it's sat at 19c the living room is huge and isn't that warm, I'll upgrade at some point to a bigger tank, lol it's expensive work fish keeping haha. Just can't wait for my ammonia to come so I can start cycling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allied123

Reaction score
Regarding your tank size...I have two males...one aged 2 and one aged 6 in a 54 litre tank....and spend 90 per cent of their time together in one hide!!

I think this brings up a good point, I think some axies just get along better than others, mine were bought at the same time from the same breeder and are probably brothers and I'll see them sitting on top of each other occasionally but I have seen them get nippy just because one is in the other one's space (especially when they were young oh my goodness.)

So while I think it's better to offer more space (and at least 2 hides in case they don't really get along while you're not watching them) I think if you're diligent about water quality and your guys get along okay it should be fine :)

I don't think fans are too expensive but that might just be my opinion I've seen them online for anywhere from like $15 to $25 which I don't think is bad considering the other option would be a chiller which is around $300 minimum or a petlier chiller for $100 which I understand to not be too effective at cooling any tank larger than 10 gallons

keiko

Reaction score
My smaller tank is 180 liters (about 47 us gallons) and I have two boys in there. They spend most of their time together in one hide but I still wouldn't put them in a smaller tank. They do like to walk and swim around and in a small tank they wouldn't really have any room to do that. I do think I could put another axie in that tank though with them. It's not just about whether they like to spend their time right next to each other, they still need to have space to move around. Think of your best friend and yourself - you like to hang out with them, but would you rather spend your whole life with them in a room the size of a bathroom or a living room?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1