Very round axie

innerdialogue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I realize I posted in the wrong thread section, so I'll post over here as well.

I have the sinking suspicion that my axie has developed bloat. It's abdomen it very round.
I haven't been as attentive to the water quality lately as I should have been, and there's a bit of algae growing. It's appetite doesn't seem to be affected, and it poops occasionally. I'm going to keep an eye out for more in the future.

I'm hoping that I can get to a vet this weekend to get it checked out.

tumblr_nlskh8m2ZJ1qc6zzyo1_1280.jpg

Do you have a picture from the side? That is a very fat axolotl - is there any chance that she is just full of eggs? A side view would give a better view of the under-chin area and legs.

Good luck!

The thought occured to me that it might be eggs, but I'm not even sure if I've got a female. I'm also not sure if she's old enough. I've only had her since November.

tumblr_nlssh8X5EC1qc6zzyo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nlssh8X5EC1qc6zzyo2_r1_540.jpg

How big was s/he when you got her?

That seems to young to be sexually mature, but at the same time, I'm not sure it is bloat.

Is she pooping regularly? What are you feeding her and how (by hand, in a bowl, or on the sand?

I usually feed her earthworms, but I've run out so she's been taking bloodworm cubes. I just drop them in and she sniffed them right out. Small or cut worms daily.

I guess there has been a change in the frequency of her poop. I actually haven't seen much at all lately. I suppose it could be constipation.

Some axies manage to get impacted from sand, especially if they eat their food off of a sandy bottom. The usual treatment for that is to refrigerate them (see the fridging guide at the top of this subforum.) Don't rush into it - read everything carefully and wait to see if any of the more knowledgeable people have better ideas.

Good luck!

I found a reptile doctor on the north side of Atlanta that I will take her in this weekend. For now, I've got a small tub that I'll set her up in to sit in the fridge for the next day or so.

I feel terrible that I haven't taken care of her like I should have.

Keep us updated...I have a similar one.If it's heart or kidney related you have done nothing wrong

Alrighty, so after a trip to the vet, here's where we are. It's not constipation or impaction. The vet thinks its a build up of gas so he's given me some medication to administer orally for the next couple of days to see if it eases the pressure at all.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I've read the article on how to force feed an axolotl but the post warns against doing so for younger axies. I'm not sure if mine is large enough to do this with.

Any advice on getting an axie to take medicine from a syringe?

Use the force feeding guidelines. Your axie is big enough, I think. The one thing I would do differently is, I draped the wet wash cloth carefully over the axie and carefully tucked it under and around instead of putting it under and wrapping it over.

When I had to give mine medicine, I sat on the floor, so that if (when) the axie escaped my grip, it didn't fall far.

I didn't use a net. but just herded the axie into the small container I was using to take it out of the tank. Slow motions, so the axie didn't get stressed/spooked.

Is it a long plastic syringe? You want the end of the syringe to go past the back of the mouth.

It doesn't make sense that it would be gas, since that would make you axie float. But I'm not a vet. :happy:

Good luck!

I agree, It can't be gas, as Lsuzuki says, it would be floating. I'm surprised a vet wouidn't know that? I had an axolotl many years ago with a similar problem, once it eventually died (from old age), I found its body cavity was filled with clear fluid. I did take it to the vets early on, as I remember it they said it was a problem with the kidneys, I still have the paperwork somewhere, If I can find it I will post a copy.

I was able to get him some medicine using the force feeding method. I suppose there's a reason they call it force feeding...

And its probably a coincidence, but afterwards the axie pooped for the first time that I've seen this week.

It might not be a coincidence. I've noticed axies tend to poop after something a bit stressful, such as a 100% water change. Sometimes I change the water in all of the baby axolotl containers an then come back an hour later to do it again to get rid of all of the new poops. ...

Day two, and the force feeding of medicine wasn't nearly as difficult as the first round. I haven't seen much of a change, though.

The vet is supposed to make a follow up call either today and tomorrow, and I guess I'll bring up the fluid build up again.

What can they do? Can they drain it? Won't it just happen again?

Is this an issue of care? or what is a problem already present in the axie?

I think it's genetic. I have a similar 10 month old...as mentioned.....but I also have two brothers who are 6 years old and look like footballs. They eat, they do not float and I can only think it is genetic as they do not live in the same tank. Their sister is on the slim side and they have always had the same care. Let us know what the vet says....but reading other replies I think he probably is trying anything.....my vet asked how to spell axolotl!

For cases like this, what's the mortality rate? Can axies live with this condition?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back