Question: Best way to keep your tank clean

reptilesJD

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Hi there , I have a 10 gallon tank in which I have two beautiful axolotls , they are about 3 inches long , they have a cascade filter of low flow . each time I do a water change the tank only last 5 with clear water , then after that the water gets cloudy , I have no substrate or any type of decorations inside the tank . I feed them frozen blood worms . how do I keep it clean ???:confused:

Re: Best wat to keep your tank clean

I have similar set up . What type of filter substrate are you using?

I have used the sponge and carbon filter I currently use the carbon filter for there excessive waiste . I find that carbon filters clean the water too well and allow bacteria to bloom . Which is usually the cause of cloudy water . I have used API accuclear with great success but I'm sure some people will advise against it . The cause of cloudiness is bacteria not dirtiness typically . As long as your parameters are ok then I would just live with it . It shouldn't harm your axoltls . Also a SMALL amount of aquarium salt COULD help but I would be very careful adding salts if your not exp.

I have used the sponge and carbon filter I currently use the carbon filter for there excessive waiste . I find that carbon filters clean the water too well and allow bacteria to bloom . Which is usually the cause of cloudy water . I have used API accuclear with great success but I'm sure some people will advise against it . The cause of cloudiness is bacteria not dirtiness typically . As long as your parameters are ok then I would just live with it . It shouldn't harm your axoltls . Also a SMALL amount of aquarium salt COULD help but I would be very careful adding salts if your not exp.
Thanks for the info

I'd like to chime in here regarding the carbon filter. To be honest with you, unless your removing medication from the water or your tank has a smell, you really don't need it. Carbon is used up within a week of adding it to the tank, and becomes a waste factory itself,harboring it all inside. I'd recommend adding in ceramic rings and/or more filter pads, as those trap the good bacteria and provide the biological filtration needed to keep the tank cleaner and clearer.
I haven't run carbon in any of my goldfish tanks, only ceramics and sponges/pads, and have never had a murky water problem, even when I was morbidly overstocking those tanks.

I'd like to chime in here regarding the carbon filter. To be honest with you, unless your removing medication from the water or your tank has a smell, you really don't need it. Carbon is used up within a week of adding it to the tank, and becomes a waste factory itself,harboring it all inside. I'd recommend adding in ceramic rings and/or more filter pads, as those trap the good bacteria and provide the biological filtration needed to keep the tank cleaner and clearer.
I haven't run carbon in any of my goldfish tanks, only ceramics and sponges/pads, and have never had a murky water problem, even when I was morbidly overstocking those tanks.
Thanks , I will have it in mind

I agree with Mandy they are better filters for your guys set up much less maintenance and cost

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back