How to prepare water for 55gal tank?

sergiomcaro

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time axolotl owner. found breeder have tank and filter. 55 gal tank EHEIM Ecco Pro Easy 60 External Canister Filter. getting 3 4 inch axolotls. how do i prepare water? no substrate yet.... do i use tap watter? is there a place to get good watter do i add chemicals or something?

Welcome to the hobby!

Water: What you do to it depends on the water. Is it municipal water or private well water? If it is municipal water, then you will need to add a dechlorinator whenever you add water to the tank. If you are on well water, you might still want to use a dechlorinator that neutralizes heavy metals if your well has a high metal content.

Dechlorinator: There are lots of dechlorinators on the market. Which one is the best for you depends on if your water has chlorine or choramine. The web site for your town ought to say what they sanitize your water with. Seachem Prime is generally considered a good dechlorinator for tanks with axolotls.

Aside from removing chorine/chloramine, most tap water is just fine right out of the tap for axolotls. They prefer harder water, so some people harden their water in various natural ways, such as crushed coral. (You need to contain the crushed coral some how so the axolotls don't eat it.) If your water is naturally soft or you have a water softener, you may wish to do this.

I am guessing by your question that this is the first time you've kept aquatic creatures? Have you read up on cycling your tank? If the axolotls are not on their way to you yet, I recommend doing a "fishless cycle" on your tank.

fishless cycle? what is that or is there a thread that already addresses that? thank you by the way.

Here is one link on fishless cycling. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Don't get intimidated by all of the words. In a nutshell, your tank is "cycled" if the correct beneficial bacteria have built up to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are both toxic, nitrate is toxic in higher levels.

Your tank is going to cycle regardless, as long as you don't do anything to kill the beneficial bacteria, but you want it to cycle without the ammonia and nitrite building up to toxic levels. If you can cycle the tank before your axolotls arrive, you will spend a lot less time worrying. :happy:

It SEEMS complicated, but really it isn't. :happy: All you are doing is feeding the bacteria ammonia so that the "right" bacteria reproduce to eat the ammonia, and then the "right" bacteria reproduce to eat the nitrite. Also, think of a cycled tank as a living thing - don't do anything that will kill the bacteria.

Unfortunately, the beneficial bacteria don't reproduce fast like the bacteria that spoil food. :sad:

A word of advice - whatever happens, DON'T PANIC! Axolotls are pretty tough, and are more likely to be harmed by actions you take in a panic than in the situation that is causing the panic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back