Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Do I need a lid? (pics inside)

simko

Reaction score
Hi everyone, while sally is on the mend from a gill fungal infection, i have my tank (her future home) running, hoping to complete the nitrogen cycle before she goes back in.

I was wondering, since i have some plants sitting outside of the tank, is a lid necessary? The water level is about 1.5" from the top of the tank, I have seen sally come up to the surface to gulp air, but ive never seen her jump, was wondering if this was safe

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/FkYeBBG.jpg)
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/2GJurzq.jpg)

charleybambino

Reaction score
It may never happen to you...but my daughters axi jumped out of the tank, through an open window and landed on the outside windowsill......she was there so all was well!!Believe me I have had jumpers too!!

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I don't have lids on my tanks, but I do keep the level down a bit. Axies seldom jump, but like Charley said, it is possible.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I like the setup :). I would use a lid though as it is better safe than sorry. You would need to lower the water much more otherwise. But more water will make it easier to control water quality. A mesh lid is best for keeping the tank cool. You could make one so that it has a hole for the plants?

allied123

Reaction score
I never really realized that they jumped but one of mine shot out of the water like a bullet while I was sitting right next to the tank! I do have a screen lid so he didn't get out but he hit that lid pretty hard, and he definitely would have fallen pretty far if he did (people also tell stories about them getting under furniture and not finding them till it was too late!).

I definitely suggest a lid, you'll probably want a screen lid to help keep the temp down in the summer. Mine looks like it was made for a reptile tank as it has a feeding hole which is how I have my hang on back filter, you might try something like that and leave the feeding hole open and put your plant through the hole?

Cacique

Reaction score
Also, I believe that is an apple or mystery snail in there? That will unfortunately have to go. The axolotl will try to eat it and could choke on it, and I believe they also prefer warmer water.

simko

Reaction score
Hi everyone

thanks for the input, i will likely make some kind of screen lid that has cutouts for the plants

The gravel is in there to start my aquarium's cycle, it is from another matured fish tank. I will remove the gravel once the cycle is done!

Also, the snail was with the axolotl before, to be honest the axolotl tried once or twice to nip at the snail and the snail just closed its "trap door" , im not overly worried about that.... should i be?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!