Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New skinny baby

Kaosu

Reaction score
So i could not pass this guy up..he/she is skinny and about 3 inches.

My two adults are moving to a 55 and this little guy will be in my 20long....

I hope he pulls threw!

Here are a few pics of it in the bag still I have never seen a color like it any ideas?
dirty lutistic?
Any tips on fattening it up would be nice.

Imgur

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Maybe a wild type with color change because of stress or malnutrition

Kaosu

Reaction score
Maybe a wild type with color change because of stress or malnutrition

Yeah that is a possibility, he has allot of white thoug...so maybe we will see when he gains so meight and settles in.

Kaosu

Reaction score
:eek: i didnt realize how bad he was!...Imgur

Does any one know the best course to get her to recover?

Kaosu

Reaction score
Cant find an edit...she ate an entire block of blood worm and looks plumper.

She does not appear to be using one leg so Im housing her in a floating breeder box to make it easier for her to breath.http://imgur.com/zzN0v2L

allied123

Reaction score
The coloring almost makes me think he/she got some ammonia burns or something...I'd be extra careful to keep the water quality perfect but if the little guy ate then that's a great sign! I wish you the best of luck and unfortunately we have seen worse on this site :( keep us updated!

keiko

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the bloodworms. Rather feed him earthworms and other nutritious food right away. I'd stick with small portions at first just to make sure his stomach is working properly before you start feeding him bigger portions. And like Allied said perfect water conditions. Also make sure to reduce all the stress factors you can - no bright lights, no handling unless absolutely necessary etc,

Kaosu

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with the bloodworms. Rather feed him earthworms and other nutritious food right away. I'd stick with small portions at first just to make sure his stomach is working properly before you start feeding him bigger portions. And like Allied said perfect water conditions. Also make sure to reduce all the stress factors you can - no bright lights, no handling unless absolutely necessary etc,

I only tried the blood worms to see if she would eat at all sens thats what the store was feeding him, worms and if we can get her to take them will start today.

Kaosu

Reaction score
Came home early today and the hubby had dropped some worms in her tank...crazy the difference a few good meals make!Imgur

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Awesome. Glad to see this little one doing better. I really dig her coloring. Looks like an ultra speckled leucistic

Kaosu

Reaction score
Awesome. Glad to see this little one doing better. I really dig her coloring. Looks like an ultra speckled leucistic

Yeah..her colors are neat i cant wait to see what she looks like as she gets healthy!

Question...it looks like her nose at some point had been rubbed flat? You can see it in some of the top view pics....she sits around with her mouth partly open most the time? She is eating and can close her mouth is this normal?Imgur

Also i found 3 blue stones in her tank today...we have mo blue anything and sand in all our tanks...I think she passed them or threw them up.

Last edited:

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Not sure about the rubbed nose but it's not a good idea to keep the snails in there with the axie. The next thing u might see passing is a shell rather than a blue stone.

Kaosu

Reaction score
Not sure about the rubbed nose but it's not a good idea to keep the snails in there with the axie. The next thing u might see passing is a shell rather than a blue stone.

Yeah snail trap in the tank....hand removing as many as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1