White fungus

A1ecia

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I left for 2 weeks and my axies got over fed and the water went bad as soon as I got home I did a 100% water change. One of my axies looked dead and had a white fungus I fridged him and have been doing salt baths 2x a day and he's making full recovery then low and behold today I notice 3 out of the other 6 axies now have the fungal infection!!!! Should I give them all salt baths now or just the 3? I don't feel these ones need fridged so what do I do with their tank? I feel like if the tank isn't treated the fungus will just come right back but obviously the 100% change out didn't rid of the fungus in the tank. Catching 6 axies twice a day will not be an easy feat is there any other suggestions?

image.jpg
Also, can I scoop some tank water and add salt to it for their baths?

You can never totally eliminate fungus from the environment, so "treating" the tank for it isn't likely to help. Having said that, another big water change might be in order. Is it possible that (like with most decorated tanks) you couldn't get all of the waste out with the last change? Have you checked ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the tank today?

What is most-likely is that the other axies were affected by the poor conditions too, just not as badly as the one. If the fungus looks bad enough on them, then a salt bath would help, but if there isn't signs of fungus, then I don't think a salt bath will prevent it,

So, I recommend,
1) Check your water parameters (if you haven't already) and do another big water change if necessary.
2) Treat the 3 with fungus if it looks more than "minor".
3) Don't treat the ones with no signs of fungus.

Good luck! :happy:

My ammonia went up to .25 so I did a 50% water change. Will the fungus damage their health if left untreated?

Fungus is opportunistic and is usually a sign that something in the environment is making the Axolotls immune system weak. The most common issues are ammonia or other nitrogenous waste build up in the water, or high temps. I would treat mild fungus with one 5-10 minute soak in new cold tap water that is not treated with dechlorinator. Chlorinated water is often enough to knock off mild fungal infections. You might need to repeat once or twice. You need to address the underlying issue that is weakening the animals- in your case probably water quality. If you can get your ammonia issue under control they will heal much more quickly. They will also heal more quickly if you treat the fungal infection. Mild infections may resolve on their own, but I would try the chlorinated water bath to knock it off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back