Illness/Sickness: Fungus??? and red dots!!

Julianashepp

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My axolotl may have a fungus and I'm really worried. This has been here for a while and it doesn't seem to have Gorton any worse or better. Also there are tiny red dots all over her. She is housed in a 50 gallon with one other axolotl. They are not aggressive towards each other and I've never had any problems. The other axolotl is showing no signs of illness.

Attachments

• IMAG0371_1.jpg
    IMAG0371_1.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,053
  • FullSizeRender-20150329-222616336.jpg
    FullSizeRender-20150329-222616336.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 839
Is there any way you could get better pictures of the potential fungus? I'm not sure what I'm looking at...Also I don't see the red dots but to be on the safe side you should probably test your water quality, one axie could be more tolerant/ not yet showing signs of a problem to the water quality. Is the axie in question a leucistic or an albino? if it's a lucy and the spots are down the center of the back it could be natural coloring but it'd be hard to tell without more pictures like one from above would be most useful for that

Looks like a tiny patch of fungus on gills. Could you put her in a very shallow container and gently tease it off with cotton bud or plastic tweezers. Doesn't look bad enough for salt bath...and if you can get it off will probably be ok with good water. Can't see the red spots tho!

here is an indication of the red dots I am talking about. sorry it kept saying the file was invalid so this is and instagram link. They look like tiny flecks of dirt in the picture but they are actually red. I'm not quite sure if they are raised but they are all over her body. Do I try to pull the fungus off or just gently push it?

here is a better picture of the red dots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 599
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back