Illness/Sickness: The tip of my axolotl's tail has gone clear?

Wendossss

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My axolotl's tail has gone clear at the end. I will post a picture to help you to understand my problem. I am wondering if I need to provide treatment or if time and monitoring will heal this issue?
Dante, my axolotl, has never shown any signs of stress that I am aware of such as curled gills or tail and I monitor him/her regularly and refer to these forums for guidance when I notice behavioural changes however I haven't managed to find an answer to this question among the forums so I thought I would ask as it has me worried.
I have recently been quite busy and I admit I neglected to clean his tank as often as I should which I believe to be the cause of this issue :( .
The tail is not curled at the end, nor have his gills changed but the tip of his tail has gone clear. I have since cleaned the tank thoroughly and he is behaving quite normally, eating and following me around the tank as he always does.
Is anyone able to provide a diagnosis and advice on how to proceed?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,205
What are the parameters?

As far as I am aware, a clear tail tip is nothing to worry about and seems to be common. My wildtype has a clear tip. Although, someone with more knowledge may be able to confirm whether this is correct or not.

I would ensure good water quality and just monitor for now. Hopefully someone can chime in who is a bit more knowledgeable on clear tail tips.

Thank you heaps for the advice :)
It is very reassuring. I am not too worried because Dante is still behaving normally but I was concerned because this happened quite suddenly and Dante has no tank mates.

I need to get myself a test kit - in terms of parameters. Any suggestions? I usually just take a sample to a pet store when I am worried but I think it is time I start being a bit more proactive.
Thank you again for the response:)

Definitely worth getting a kit. I use the API freshwater master kit. Many users here also use this one. It is pricey but is worth the investment as it gives you more control of water quality than taking samples to the stores and the kit lasts ages. Whatever you choose, I would avoid test strips as they have been known to be inaccurate. I would opt for a liquid test kit and get tests for at least ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.

Definitely worth getting a kit. I use the API freshwater master kit. Many users here also use this one. It is pricey but is worth the investment as it gives you more control of water quality than taking samples to the stores and the kit lasts ages. Whatever you choose, I would avoid test strips as they have been known to be inaccurate. I would opt for a liquid test kit and get tests for at least ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.
This is the one I use as well. I've heard good things but I'm doubting the accuracy of mine. Always reads normal but I'm a new aquarium owner and doubt im doing it right. Will the tal eventually grow back or is it all there but not visible? It looks nipped as opposed to clear.

New tissue growth starts out clear. He may have damaged the tip of his tail and is regenerating, or he may just be growing. I would keep an eye on it just to be sure it looks healthy and is not some kind of injury, but I wouldn't worry too much unless you see red spots or fungus, or if it starts spreading up healthy tail tissue.

This is the one I use as well. I've heard good things but I'm doubting the accuracy of mine. Always reads normal but I'm a new aquarium owner and doubt im doing it right. Will the tal eventually grow back or is it all there but not visible? It looks nipped as opposed to clear.

Are you shaking the bottles well before testing and waiting the required time before reading? If you are following the instructions and you still don't trust the results you could use a friend's kit (if available) or get it tested at a store (make sure they give you the exact readings). Check the expiry date on the kit and make sure it is in date. If you still don't trust it, it may be worth getting a new kit?

I agree Tammyaxie it looks nipped but he has no tank mates ?

New photo from today not sure if it's any easier to see what's going on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 626
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back