Tank number seriously high

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aside from water changes, can I level water numbers with a chemical conditioner like prime? My water is very high in nitrate and nitrite:( . The ph is between 7.0 and 7.4. Ammonia 0.25 ppm but the nitrate is 160ppm and the nitrite is 1.0 ppm. Ive already taken out my axies but need help asap. Thanks guys!

Water changes are the answer. Prime can help convert ammonia to a less toxic form, but won't help with the nitrates. Nitrite spikes are part of the second step in tank cycling, so your tank may not be done cycling. Nitrite and ammonia are both toxic, and your nitrate should stay under 40 or so. Live plants can help reduce nitrates a bit, but nothing can replace water changes. Get a python water changer- it will make your life easier. I do about 20% a week for maintenance. During cycling you need to do large, frequent changes to keep your parameters in line. Or move the axis to tubs and do daily 100% changes. Dump the dirty water in the cycling tank as an ammonia source, and you can do a fish less cycle. A larger tank will be easier to maintain long term- the bigger the tank, the easier it is to keep stable healthy water parameters. Here's a great link on cycling, the only part I disagree with is cranking the temperature-you want to grow cold water bacteria. And the time frame in a cold tank will be substantially longer, up to 3 months...http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info rachel1 does high nitrate cause floating?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back