Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Slate tile vs siliconed down sand

tinyali

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few posts on using slate tiles or siliconed down sand as a substrate and I'd like to try one of those two options in my new tank, but I wanted a bit more info before committing!

Any idea what the pros and cons are of either of these two options? What are they like to actually live with? Should it be permanently fixed to the tank or left removable? Your experiences and advice would be welcomed!

Also, any advice on how to actually make/install the substrate? Any pitfalls to avoid? Are there any how-to guides available? I've searched through the forum but not stumbled across anything so far.

Sorry for all the questions, but my current tank is bare bottomed, so the whole substrate thing is new to me...

Thanks for your help.

birdsong

Reaction score
I like the look of slate but it is tedious to clean beneath . Siliconed sand is easier to clean but doesn't have natural look . You could always glue the slate down but it can increase tank weight

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1