Not growing?

cabbysarus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have several little axies. They are all growing so quickly... all except for my little Trogdor. :( Should I be worried about him? I almost wanna take him out of the big tank with the others because he is so small. I wouldn't want him to become lunch for Leviathan (biggest one in the tank) he is probably about 5" when little Trogdor is about 3". I hand feed him worms that I cut up. I don't think he likes them much because he keeps spitting them back out, but eventually he does keep some down. I'm just worried about him. Am I being silly?

In addition, we did move Trogdor to his own tank. It looked like some of his gills had been nibbled on.

Have you tried any other types of food? My axolotl will not eat worms, blanched, cooked, raw, chopped, whole, slimy, or dry, so I had to look for other food.
When she was 3-4 inches long, she only would eat liver pellets that had a very strong scent, but as she grew larger she became less picky. I think she is still on the small size though. 7 inches long and a year and a half old.

Although, try feeding worms again in the other tank, it's possible it's the stress of getting bullied that is making him not want to eat.

I feed frozen blood worms pretty regularly as well... but the others weren't allowing him to be in the dish with them. He has eaten some of those since the tank change, but not as much as we would have hoped he would.

Thank you for your response. :)

From personal experience I had to move my axxie to his own "rehab" tank and he is just now after 6+ months a healthy size and has a healthy appetite.

Here he is tonight.

8915faf8abe7d459341a61e0bf58aaa1.jpg

He was the same size as the day I bought him for about 4-5 months... This month marks a year since I purchased them. His sibling is double his size!

So I could just have a tiny axie lol We have moved him back into the big tank with his siblings, and he seams to be doing well. Even fighting to get into the food dish sometimes. ^.^ so proud of him. Trogdor has gotten a bit wider since he's eating better now, but still doesn't seam to be growing very much at all. The others are starting to catch up with Leviathan though, which makes me happy, but gives us a whole new set of problems with little Trogdor. Soon everyone is going to be much bigger than him and might be willing to gobble him up. I think we might just have to get a filter for the smaller tank and make that his permanent home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back