Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fbn transition to water and..

Derz94

Reaction score
So, I raised the water level in my tank a little bit more and he still just seems to seek out the driest part of land. He is eating regularly now, everyday just not as much he eats about 2-3 pieces of chopped earthworm daily and seems to be gaining more mass.

When he goes into the water (with a little push from myself) his skin looks silvery, or almost as if he has a bubble/oil layer on his skin. Is this normal?

Also! What is the deal with feeding live earthworms sold as bait. The only earthworms I could find anywhere in my area was at Walmart!! Are these okay? I am getting mixed info on this topic.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
How long has it been in a shallow aquatic setup? Usually when I do this I keep them at a very low level without increasing until after a couple weeks. Do not force it to go into deeper water right away, if you're trying to get it aquatic there shouldn't be any dry land either, just a lot of live plants.
A terrestrial newt will look silvery for awhile if its not adapted to the water, it's nothing to worry about.
Bait worms will usually work if they're not like glowing green, and many will refuse to eat red wigglers. I feed all my newts baby Nightcrawlers I get at Walmart and I don't have an issue.

Derz94

Reaction score
It was in a shallow setup for about three weeks as I waited for him to adjust to his new environment, then I slowly added about half an inch of water a week but it is now at about 4.5"-5" is that too deep? Should I re-do his tank?

I have a waterfall filter in there and I stuff the opening where the water comes out with some ️Moss so it does not create too large of a current. I love how it looks. But it needs a minimum water level to run and it will also give him a nice chunk of dry land to come out on if I leave it in....

How low should my water level be? And should I take out the waterfall filter?

I have had this newt for a month now exactly.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Ideally I would start with an inch of water with lots of plants and absolutely no dry land mass, if there's land accessible it's just going to glue itself to it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1