Question: Shrimps

HazeyJane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am planning to buy some cherry or ghost shrimps. Initially they will be a "class pet" for work but ultimately they'll come home so my axie can munch them.

So, is there anything I should avoid? It seems to be pretty easy to get hold of them..

Thanks (as always) for advice :happy:

River shrimp need brackish water, cherry need freshwater. Cherry shrimp are easier to keep and breed.

Ok, cherry it is. Thank you :happy:

Do I need to quarantine them before they are introduced to my axie tank do you think? They will be in school for a few weeks (possibly until the summer, depending on my class) but iirc everything needs a 7 week quarantine.

I don't want to take any risks with the axie, he's very important!

At least 4 weeks, so a whole term would be fine.

That's great, thanks for the advice. It's very reassuring to be able to "check in" on axie matters!

When I finally put them in with my axie I will be interested to see what kind of prey drive he has. He was trained to take his food from tongs before I got him. These days he sometimes still has it from the tongs but some days he'll swim up to be hand fed too..

As far as I know he's never seen food that can run away! Hopefully he'll enjoy that :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back