Worms

evo1982

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just wondering were is the best place is to buy worms off line i'm still a new axie keeper so any help would be grateful .
thanks claire

I get mine from yorkshire-worms.co.uk i am very happy with them

Thank you I will go and have a look ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does any one know what kind of worms would be the best for the axie as well? I have been using Trout worms i bought at my local fish store, I put about 36 of them in a container with some compost and food, ive had them for about 2 - 3 weeks and my axie loves them. I usually cut one in half and give half to him because they have got quite big. I looked at the website and i was looking at small dendrobaena worms. How fast do they reproduce and how many should i use to start an actual wormery.

I understand that it's ok to feed garden earthworms but NOT any from a compost heap !?

Is that correct and if so , WHY ?

My animals seem very happy eating the worms from my compost heap. I try not to add any citrus to the heap as I was advised not to..... but I can't remember why :/ I also tend to buy organic veg and fruit when I can.
Some worms may produce a secretion that some animals may not like, this may be a reason why some would advise against using them. I also use the woodlice found for feeding some of my animals.

My animals seem very happy eating the worms from my compost heap. I try not to add any citrus to the heap as I was advised not to..... but I can't remember why :/ I also tend to buy organic veg and fruit when I can.
Some worms may produce a secretion that some animals may not like, this may be a reason why some would advise against using them. I also use the woodlice found for feeding some of my animals.

I thought compost worms were a NO -NO !?
We just put vegatable waste in ours but I've been too scared to use the worms from there .

I did a test run of some "trout" worms I got from my local fishing worms I believe they are dew worms. I did a small compost trial run with 36 worms and have been feeding my 2 axies with them and they like them. Now I have ordered half a pound of worms from a worm farm, and have started a bigger compost bin. My worms should arrive tomorrow I have already got their compost ready with some food.

I feed my worms Apple peels, banana peels, carrots, mushrooms, grapes, egg shells, lettuce, and more vegetables.

I also add carbon products like paper cup holders, news paper, paper towel.

Everything I break down into small pieces to ensure the worms can eat it with ease.

The 36 trout worms got quite big and I have seen some baby worms after only a month and a half but only have 8 left cause the second axie I got 3 weeks ago is a piggy. Cannot wait to start the 200 worms. I ordered European Nightcrawlers because ive seen that they are quite enjoyed by axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back