Question: My first newt (hopefully)

ThatNewGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I live in Central Texas, and in looking for a newt that can survive here, what do you guys think would be a good one to keep here and in a 20g terrarium? :D

Sorry if I posted this in thebwrong section.

What temperatures could you maintain? Are you wanting something aquatic or terrestrial?

Some Cynops and Hypselotrition species could be good if you could find captive bred individuals. And T. verrucosus usually like slightly warmer waters when aquatic (but I've been looking for these for a while now without luck).

Well my house usually stays around 70-75℉ and my terrarium gets a little cooler than that, I'm gona be be diving it so that it can hold water on one half and I can provide a filter for it, with the water moving It'll be cooler right? And either way I'm gona have plenty of shady spots out and in water

Well most newts you're going to find are going to be fully aquatic or fully terrestrial (or seasonal. but most can be maintained year round in one type of enclosure). There are only a few species I would see using both regularly, yet might not. I would pick which type of enclosure you're more interested in and go on from there. Also, most newts dislike having any water flow, and most of the ones that like it are wild caught and are extremely hard to find captive bred.

Well I guess I would prefer something terrestrial better but what would you reccomend for me as it will be my first newt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back