Tank cleaning after death

Meggiek14

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

Unfortunately my Axi got a fungal infection that he just couldn't fight off :-( he passed away a week ago and I now would like to look at getting another. Just wondering about how I go setting up a new tank? How do I clean it to ensure that the tank is safe for Axi #2.

While I have had aquariums before the world of Axi's are very new to me so want to make sure I do the correct thing. I am devastated about my previous one passing so don't want it to happen again.

Meg

The Indiana axolotl colony suggests using baking soda and kosher (or any non-iodized ) salt mixture (I believe 1:1) to safely clean tanks . I'm not experienced in fungal sterilization but I would think using a small amount amphibian safe anti-fungal medication as a final wipe inside the aquarium couldn't hurt . I'm sure others will post more helpful info.

Well, I know not the safest but my axolotls (2) are still living anyway this is what I did to clean it:
(Short version of what happened) My axolotl got a prolapse sadly died, so I knew to either clean it for other axolotls to go in. So thats what I did. I used the milton baby sterilizer which cleaned it. I filled my tank up and poured the milton in. I also sterilized everything else. Then after they were sterilized I gave it a really good clean with normal tap water. Make sure to scrub! After I cleaned it all I filled it up and cycled it etc. Then a couple of weeks later I got 2 new axolotls. Put them in and hadn't have a problem with them since! (Been like 1 1/2 years now)
There is better ways. But if you sterilize it, run it through water MULTIPLE times! :happy:
Sorry for your loss as well :(

I would try and figure out what happened to your first axie. Fungus doesn't kill healthy axies, I would say there was more going on.

Unfortunately we see it all to often, particularly in countries that have hot summers. The axies get stressed, stop eating, become weak and contract fungus, then have no resources to fight it off even with salt baths.

Please look into this before you get another axie - a good scrub with salt will clean the tank but it won't protect your new axie.

Here in australia temperatures obviously do get hot, so I keep mine in a cool place. They seem happy. But I would only use my idea of sterilizer if it was contagious and easy to catch for axolotls. But you can still use it.

I would try and figure out what happened to your first axie. Fungus doesn't kill healthy axies, I would say there was more going on.

Unfortunately we see it all to often, particularly in countries that have hot summers. The axies get stressed, stop eating, become weak and contract fungus, then have no resources to fight it off even with salt baths.

Please look into this before you get another axie - a good scrub with salt will clean the tank but it won't protect your new axie.

I tested the water weekly and temperature daily but when I got him he was servely underweight so never had the reserves to fight off the infection. While I was a first time owner I did do my research and due diligence. I have taken on many foster pets of different breeds and don't do so without as much knowledge as possible. This was the same with this little guy when he was given to me. I did my best and fell in love with axoltls in the process so would like to buy one for myself now. Thanks for your concern though.

I'm sad to hear that your axie passed away.

I'd use different kind of cleaners to be on the safe side. Benzalkonium chloride is used if the axie had Bd. It's used in eye drops, household cleaners and so on and should kill all kinds of fungus. When I needed it, my pharmacist made a solution for me. It wasn't more expensive than a quality household cleaner.
After that, you could additionally clean your tank with alcohol for desinfection. Finally the tank has to be rinsed with lots of water.

I'd also clean the filter or buy a new sponge filter. Clean every item that you used and want to use for your new axie, too.

I lost three axies a year ago, I can imagine how you feel right now. :(

I'm sad to hear that your axie passed away.

I'd use different kind of cleaners to be on the safe side. Benzalkonium chloride is used if the axie had Bd. It's used in eye drops, household cleaners and so on and should kill all kinds of fungus. When I needed it, my pharmacist made a solution for me. It wasn't more expensive than a quality household cleaner.
After that, you could additionally clean your tank with alcohol for desinfection. Finally the tank has to be rinsed with lots of water.

I'd also clean the filter or buy a new sponge filter. Clean every item that you used and want to use for your new axie, too.

I lost three axies a year ago, I can imagine how you feel right now. :(

THANKS SO MUCH :) amazing help

You're welcome. :happy:

I forgot to say: The Benzalkonium chloride has to soak for 12 hours. I used 0,1mg/L and threw all plastic and glass items I wanted to clean in the tank, too.

Please be really, really careful with Benzalkonium chloride, even if the concentration is low and never touch it bare handed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back