Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are my axolotls big enough for a large tank?

markj

Reaction score
Hi people. I am new to axolotls, I have 3 little dudes a few months old. they are about 2 inches long. I am keeping them in a small tub still and am wondering when they will be big enough to go into the 100 ltr tank. I have been told that they should not go into the larger tank until they are big enough as they will not be able to find their food, but nobody is saying how big that is! the tank has been cycled and the levels are good. at the moment, i am doing a 100% water change every day in the small tub that they are in using the water from the 100 ltr tank and I am feeding them bloodworm once a day. they seem to see the food alright and they are greedy little things. I would have thought that they could find the food in a 2ft tank.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I have a 250L tank and my axolotls were about three inches when I added them to the tank. I wasn't expecting them to be so small but I didn't have any issues with them in the large tank. I hand fed them earthworms so I knew they were getting food. I don't know what the general rule is though. Make sure though your tank is cycled before adding them to the tank. Also what substrate do you have in the tank? If you have sand you would want to either hand feed them or use a feeding dish as they shouldn't feed directly off sand. Also if you have sand it is not recommended that they be kept on sand until at least 5 inches long.

Skudo09

Reaction score
You will want to switch them to something like earthworms or good quality axolotl or newt pellets when they get bigger. You can transition them to earthworms around three inches.

markj

Reaction score
Thank you. I am gonna go for it then. For substrate i am using large pebbles at the moment (far larger than would fit in their mouthes) as it was recommended by the fish shop. When they are older i will change to sand. Thank you so much for the info. I cannot find the information anywhere! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!