Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can i put a 9 inch axolotl in with my 3 inch?

SarahSaur

Reaction score
Hi! My names Sarah and I'm new to the forum! :) im interested in getting another axolotl but the one I'm looking at is 9inches and mines about 3. The tank is a 20 gallon. I'm worried about fighting and the 9inch eating my baby. The one I'm interested in is male, but I have no idea what gender mine is. Thank you for reading :)

Skudo09

Reaction score
I would not recommend it. I think generally the rule is less than 2 inches difference but someone else here can probably better advise you on that. I'd be concerned about the little one becoming lunch. Do you have another tank you can keep one of them in until they are closer in size?

qannp

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that, too. 10 gallon is really small, and you should do daily water changes. Besides, I think 20 gallon is too small for two axies. :(

If you really, really want to buy the 9 inch axie, I would recommend to buy a larger tank (about 40 gallon), put the larger one in this tank and the small one in the 20 gallon tank.

rachel1

Reaction score
I agree that a 20 is a bit small for two adults. I do think a 3" baby would be ok in a ten gallon for a few months, but you'll want to upgrade them eventually.

Bette

Reaction score
Yeah... I have 2-3 axolotls sometimes in a 20 long and it's fine. It never seems cramped. This setup is not recommended for the beginner because it takes practice to manage water quality. The key is doing frequent water changes. Of course, bigger is always better, right?

qannp

Reaction score
20 long is fine for 2 axolotls.

Yeah... I have 2-3 axolotls sometimes in a 20 long and it's fine. It never seems cramped. This setup is not recommended for the beginner because it takes practice to manage water quality. The key is doing frequent water changes. Of course, bigger is always better, right?

I really don't want to be rude, but that's too small to keep two adults. In Austria it's forbidden by law to keep newts in such small tanks. The minimum for two axies sized 20cm (7.87 inches) would be 80x50x40cm (160l - between 42 and 43 gallon).

allied123

Reaction score
I agree with the 20 long being fine for 2 adults, as that's what I have. You do really need to keep up with the water changes though, my nitrates get to around 40 every week with about an 80% change every week so I can't skip a water change or anything but again for beginners a bigger tank is better as it's easier to keep the water quality up

qannp

Reaction score
Well, I'd say these are the symptoms of an unbalanced and crowded tank, and not a sign of experience. Just my 2 cents.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!