Question: First clutch of eggs!?!

Mylilpegasister

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone!

I was getting ready to clean out my axolotl tank and i noticed a few white ball type things in the tank, upon closer inspection i saw that they were eggs!! This is my female gold's first clutch of eggs and she has currently laid about 30+ and is still going... She has been laying for about an hour now, so im just wondering how long it will take before she stops laying? Also how many *fertile* eggs she will lay and if like some other animals, will most of her eggs be duds?

The father is either another gold or a wild type although the tank is full of spermatores so i have no idea whom they belong to or if they are a mixture of both. Anyway, i am interested to know if anyone in australia around sydney area would like some of the babies if any survive.

Aaaaand one more question!! (sorry) How much brine shrimp eggs in grams should i get?

Females can take up to 3 days to finish laying. Expect a few hundred.

Sometimes a female's first batch isn't that successful, but you can probably expect a good few hatchlings. You'll know after the first few days when they start to change shape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back