Do these eggs look normal/okay?

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Harley and axis eggs are on day 3 and 4 now. Do they look okay? How often should I change the water? I noticed to day that a few of them appear to be halving if that makes sense. They haven't started going into bean shapes at least i dont think they have i cant see they have but i have really bad eyesight.but do they look like they could be okay? I find it easier to look with my camera as they are so small I think I'll need a new pair of glasses before they hatch. :p first picture is them this morning second and third is them just now. What stage would you say they were at?

Attachments

• 20150410_131658.jpg
    20150410_131658.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 2015-04-10 18.32.23.jpg
    2015-04-10 18.32.23.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 20150410_182200.jpg
    20150410_182200.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 324
Yes the eggs look fine as long as the mother is an albino. I would guess gastrula stage, beans are coming soon! Most people change about 50% of the water daily of every other day. Cheers!

The eggs look fine. There's no real need to change the water until the babies start hatching.

they are developing fine, just leave them alone and about 14 days later they will hatch.
you do not need to change water or do anything, just leave them to developed unaided

The mum is a leucistic the dad is a chimera they look more like they are going into a different shape now. :happy: but is the fact that they don't have an albino mum bad. Most of them have turn browny black now.

I just did a 20 percent water change on the mum's tank and found two little eggs. One was way more developed than all the other eggs. This one is like a proper bean now. :D

Attachments

• 2015-04-11 15.21.36.jpg
    2015-04-11 15.21.36.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 238
The mum is a leucistic the dad is a chimera they look more like they are going into a different shape now. :happy: but is the fact that they don't have an albino mum bad. Most of them have turn browny black now.

No it is not bad. I was just alluding to the fact that only albino and leucistic mothers lay eggs that are white at first.

they are developing fine, just leave them alone and about 14 days later they will hatch.
you do not need to change water or do anything, just leave them to developed unaided

I stand corrected, technically you don't have to change the water and many people don't. I like to because I don't use an air stone so fresh water changes supply fresh oxygen, and also to prevent fungus from taking over the eggs.

Leucistics lay pigmented eggs. It is a developmental mutation. They produce pigment, it just fails to migrate over the body as the animal develops. Albinos lay white eggs. And I agree, water changes are beneficial to developing eggs. It may not be essential, but it certainly won't hurt them. It will at least replenish oxygen in the water, and fresh water is never a bad thing in my opinion.

Just wanted to give a quick update on my eggs they are on day 8 and 9 and are doing brilliant. They have little gills now and i can see the eyes on one ( at least i think i can). I removed a few of the bad ones but was worried about damaging the developing eggs so decided to leave the rest in there unless they get fungus. Should be hatching soon. By the photos how long would you say I have until they start to hatch. Last thing how long will it be before I really see the colour or is this the colour they are. I've noticed some lighter ones.

Attachments

• 2015-04-16 19.17.08.jpg
    2015-04-16 19.17.08.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 2015-04-16 19.16.21.jpg
    2015-04-16 19.16.21.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 2015-04-16 19.15.56.jpg
    2015-04-16 19.15.56.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 321
Just wanted to give a quick update on my eggs they are on day 8 and 9 and are doing brilliant. They have little gills now and i can see the eyes on one ( at least i think i can). I removed a few of the bad ones but was worried about damaging the developing eggs so decided to leave the rest in there unless they get fungus. Should be hatching soon. By the photos how long would you say I have until they start to hatch. Last thing how long will it be before I really see the colour or is this the colour they are. I've noticed some lighter ones.

I'd give them about 4 or 5 days.
Get your brine shrimp ready when they hatch!
They colors will probably be most distinguishable after about a month I believe, but they still might grow lighter or darker as the turn into juveniles and grow their front and back legs.

First one has hatched I think I disturbed him to much when attempting to do a water change and separate the bad eggs. The water was smelling bad so I really needed to do it. His head doesn't look like other people's axolotl babies it is really long and thin. Looking at him today the last 2 pictures it doesn't appear as bad as I thought. I hope he will be okay. He swims funny and then he lays on the bottom on his side I have seen other newly hatched axolotls do this.

Attachments

• 2015-04-17 23.18.49.jpg
    2015-04-17 23.18.49.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 20150418_113643.jpg
    20150418_113643.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 20150418_114000.jpg
    20150418_114000.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 258
First one has hatched I think I disturbed him to much when attempting to do a water change and separate the bad eggs. The water was smelling bad so I really needed to do it. His head doesn't look like other people's axolotl babies it is really long and thin. Looking at him today the last 2 pictures it doesn't appear as bad as I thought. I hope he will be okay. He swims funny and then he lays on the bottom on his side I have seen other newly hatched axolotls do this.

Not to fret!

This happens occasionally. If you seperate him into clean water of his own and change it daily he should be fine. I'd try to feed him about about 36-72 hours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back