Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice sought, what might be happy in here?

Fishumms

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 20 gallon high aquarium that once housed my Spanish Ribbed newts. They have moved to a larger aquarium, so I decided to do something new with this one. I filled it with dirt and now it's a terrarium. Well, I also put in a 2.5 gallon de-rimmed aquarium to create some water areas, can't help it. I was wondering if anyone and any advice on what might like to live in here. The plants have not fully grown in yet, and I have some leaf litter to put in as well, so keep that in mind, they aren't going in tomorrow. I have been looking at the Two Lined Salamanders, Eurycea cirrigera I believe, as they are small and mostly terrestrial, or so I've read. I have a good screen top for the tank so they won't get out. I would like to do a salamander as I have not kept one before, but if a newt species would work, I am curious to keep another one. Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 188

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the temperature range that the tank is exposed to. What would it be, approximately?

Fishumms

Reaction score
The house stays within 68 at the lowest and 72 at the highest. We have central heat and air.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was trying to think what would use land and water regularly, but there aren't many, that's why people generally go for aquatic or terrestrial depending on species and/or season.
I don't have any experience with north american species, so don't know about slimy salamanders.
Some fire bellied toads would probably do well in there?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Slimy salamanders don't go into water. They are an entirely terrestrial species, even breeding on land. My suggestion is a crocodile newt, because they go onto land more often than other newts I believe

Fishumms

Reaction score
Very interesting. Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't thinking about newts since the ones I have don't seem to like land at all. More things to consider I guess. What about Eastern Spotted Newts? They are a lot easier to find.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Eastern newt adults are normally fully aquatic under good conditions, and most of what you'll find will be wild caught.
If you want something for a tank like that, it could take some patience as most are fully aquatic or fully terrestrial.

Fishumms

Reaction score
So, I saw some extremely beautiful blue tailed fire belly newts at my local store and I am now converting the tank back to a mostly aquatic set up. I'll post a thread about it when I get it done, and I'll link it to this thread too so you can see the final product. Thank you all for your advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!