Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cheers from NZ

jikaru

Reaction score
5yrs ago my daughter brought home an axolotl and I thought it to be the most stupid aquatic pet anyone could have. A long story short, a few months ago my sons axies had 320 eggs. Over the last 4 weeks, I've ended up with the last 7. 2 are ill but making good progress.
I'm an animal lover. Animals don't pick you to be their owner, you pick them to be your pet, so "pet your pet". I've rescued Dogs all my life. My oldest dog died last year at the age of 19 (human years). Our cat died the year before aged 21 (human years).

Cheers to everyone. Glad to be accepted to this forum.... Have a good day.

Salmonidae

Reaction score
5yrs ago my daughter brought home an axolotl and I thought it to be the most stupid aquatic pet anyone could have. A long story short, a few months ago my sons axies had 320 eggs. Over the last 4 weeks, I've ended up with the last 7. 2 are ill but making good progress.
I'm an animal lover. Animals don't pick you to be their owner, you pick them to be your pet, so "pet your pet". I've rescued Dogs all my life. My oldest dog died last year at the age of 19 (human years). Our cat died the year before aged 21 (human years).

Cheers to everyone. Glad to be accepted to this forum.... Have a good day.

Many people are uninterested in amphibians at first because like fish you can't physically touch them, and unlike most aquarium fish they tend to be inactive and shy. The time you spend observing your axolotls and understanding their goofy behavior will help build more "pet-like" bonds.

jikaru

Reaction score
sweet as Salmonidae, I'm already taken by them. I retract my words of them being the most stupid aqua creatures. I find myself pampering them so yeah, I'm absolutely taken.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1