Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Mating Axolotls

esKaye

Reaction score
So I just noticed all of my 5 axolotls dancing into the corner, piling amonst each other and acting unusual. I read up a bit, and I'm pretty sure they are trying to mate. I've found some sperm deposits, but they're mainly sucked up by the filter. :( I have rocks along the bottom, and only 1 sperm deposit seems to have stuck to it. And after a little more inspection I seem to have 4 males and 1 female ?

I've unplugged my filter in hopes this helps with their mating. I will probably plug it back in come morning. I only have 1 plant and it isn't very accessible (it has thin stems and the leaves are quite high ). They've stopped their dancing so I don't know what that means. I only noticed it happening for about 5 minutes.

I'd appreciate any recommendations as I would love for them to breed ?

qannp

Reaction score
Hi esKaye, first: Plug the filter back in. If you don't, all the bacteriae will die and your tank will crash.

- done? Great. :happy:

Wait if the female lays eggs. Since I never breeded, I don't know how to tell good eggs from bad eggs,but others will have plenty of advice.

Start breeding artemia, as you will need them for the babyaxies.

And please, don't separate more eggs than lotls you can keep. Most likely 100% of them will survive, and many happy breeders end up with 40+ lotls.

Good luck! :grin:

esKaye

Reaction score
Thanks! I've plugged it back in.

I don't even know where to purchase brine shrimp! I will cally local fish stores once I see some eggs.

Need some more help though!

qannp

Reaction score
Oooooor you just don't look in your tank for a few days and let the proud parents take care of the eggs…*nomnom*

esKaye

Reaction score
Haha no! Not an option!

So this morning it seems as though she didn't get pregnant and all the males are tired. At the tail end of last night they were just pushing each other out of the way. My largest male tried to push the female into one end of the tank at one point, but I think another male had pushed his sperm out. At one point there was a bunch of sperm in the tank, but just floating around.

Should I maybe separate them??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1