Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

55 gal, Axolotl Paludarium Build

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So I've mentioned this build in a couple of past posts, and I now finally have the time to do it :). And I would like to say that I've been working on this since last October!! And I thought it was gonna be easy... DOH!!

Let me know what everyone thinks!! Also, I need help with plant ideas. I have tons of spider plants, money wart (aquatic and terrestrial) and butt loads of dwarf water lettuce and fairy moss (which I can't stand....) I'll be looking for java moss if anyone wants to trade ;) ;) ;) ;)
I'm kinda stuck on what I'm going to put on the back wall as far as plants. I was thinking java moss (since the back wall is where the canister filter spray bar is. (It turns the back of the tank wall into a waterfall.) and I was thinking that more plant roots would do even more filtration.

For now, I am only going to post a picture of the almost finished tank. But if anyone wants to see how I did it, I'll gladly post ALL the pictures and instructions :))

Anyways, this is where I'm am at so far. Please keep in mind that this tank will only be half full (Paludarium) Under the water line I intend for only planted plastic plants (unless I put real ones in small pots.). At the water line will be - dwarf water Lillie's, drawf wart lettuce. Semi submerged will be - 4 leaf pond clover, non-variegated and variegated spider plants, and a mystery plant (image included below)
Plants on a timed watering system will be kenilworth ivy, and vinca... Speak up if you have more ideas! For the carved rocks, drift wood, coco fiber walls, vines and other semi dry places... I will be making a moss slurry. I could use some advice on that....

Btw, this tank will be running on a SunSun canister filter meant for a 75 gal turtle tank (currently running the temp 40g that my five juvenile axolotls are in). The filter pump is outside of the water. Biological filtration only - No Carbon. I am also currently in the works on making a chiller set up. 8 refrigerated fans attached the outside/back of the tank with an internal probe... The water will be cold, but the air should be warm enough for the plants. Lighting is LED - a mix of soft yellow, cool white and grow LEDs (red/blue mix)

Water parameters in temp tank are...
PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate -0
Btw, I bought a second test kit because I wasn't trusting the last three. It seemed that Once I added the canister filter, everything dropped to 0. So I started thinking the test kit was bad. It was the filter!! No way I can complain for $60 bucks!! Anyone need a hardly used test kit? Lol.

Anyways, enough rambling ;)

This is the main waterfall itself... For being made of foam, this thing weighs a bloody ton! I have a tetra i10 filter controlling the rock fountain. I intent to modify it to work like a canister filter :)
5fa4f8191e9376c29121c72e73f52e54.jpg

In the middle on progress. I temporarily affixed everything to get a feel for how it was going to look and then I decided I needed more rocks...
ca123a8f190a367b29934864c9d7f51b.jpg

No water added yet. I just didn't want to wait to see what it was going to look like lol. And then I had to remove the saaaaaaaand..... What a pain Lol
The waterline will be about center with the tank.
0b904def628d202cd06cbb3cfc45c47e.jpg

Tonight I start the salt soak for three days to a week (this helps remove ANY toxins that may remain I the water (I used all stuff that is non toxic when cured!!!!). Next week I start a planted fish less cycle. I will be using axolotl tank water and dirty filter media to get the cycle going :)

Please don't forget to let me know what y'all think!

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Btw, this is the background that I need help with as far as plants go. It's made from green scrubby sponges. I figured it would give plant roots a good footing to get ahold of... I would like it to totally fill in with greenery and have my rocks poking through. I was thinking Kenilworth ivy? I'm also hoping that at some point in time, I'll be able to get moss to grow on those rocks as well :))

3dda47a38236543bd725e7f5a3f76c4e.jpg

899e971854436271508dbc36b36764da.jpg

6edc23ea1dd1b95a16b96f1660b56022.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1