Illness/Sickness: 40 larvae dead at ONCE

katyaq

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was heart broken today to come home and find ALL of my baby axolotls basically curled in on themselves. The tails were completely curled in and the gills were bent forward. This is the second time I have had larvae and the first time I had no problem at all. This time I have had several die on me at once on 2 separate occasions. The first time was when they were about a week old, a lot of them refused to eat the BBS and I'm assuming they starved. The rest of them were growing just fine, until I lost about 5 at the same time apparently due to them swallowing the shells from the BBS and becoming constipated. I have absolutely no idea what happened with my babies, they are about a month old now. I changed them into a new container, I've housed juveniles in that container before and had no problem. I had left a big plastic jug of water for over a week in my room to dechlorinate and I poured it all into the other container and they were all moved into it at once. That was last night. I came home this afternoon from school to find them all like this. I need to know, please, what could have caused them all to die at once? I am just flabbergasted and heart broken, I can't find any info on this, please help!

Please help!!! two are still alive, I took them out of the container where the other ones were and used aged water from my adult tank. One of them has a curled tail and the other is straight. Both have bent gills. What can I do to help them survive?

Please help!!! two are still alive, I took them out of the container where the other ones were and used aged water from my adult tank. One of them has a curled tail and the other is straight. Both have bent gills. What can I do to help them survive?

Sorry for your loss! I'm not sure what could have caused it. But to try to save the others, just keep them in clean water and offer food as you have been doing. Perhaps buy some spring water until you find what the problem is. Do you use a dechlorinator? What brand?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back