Sick Axolotl please help me!

annie92311

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a very unwell axy:

First up he has not grown since i bought him as a baby 2 and a half years ago, he is no longer than 4 inches. He shed his gills about a year ago? and now only has black stumps on the back of his head. This is really bad.

He had a recurring infection where his entire body would become covered in a black flaky mucus, which would go away as soon as i changed his water/cleaned his tank. This infection would start in one spot and spread, this spot is now a big raised lump (doesn't affect his movement).

My main concern is that he is REFUSING TO EAT FOR A WEEK! I haven't changed his environment at all. And he is being really active (unusual for him). He keeps floating in the tank, but moves when i nudge him.

I de chlorinate his water, but i don't adjust ph, nitrate, ammonia ect. The pet shop old me not to, i was really dumb to listen to them.

Taking him to a vet is not an option as the nearest vet that will treat axolotls is 3 hours away.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Hey love! First I understand your concern. Sadly I can't help you. BUT. There is a section Just for sick axolotls. When you repost your question, be sure to include a clear picture so the old timers here can better help you :)

Click on the link below and repost your question. Seriously, There are some truly helpful and experienced people here :)

Axolotls (<i>Ambystoma mexicanum</i>) - Sick Axolotl? at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

I wish you and your Axi the best of luck, and my heart goes put to you :(

Tori

Hey love! First I understand your concern. Sadly I can't help you. BUT. There is a section Just for sick axolotls. When you repost your question, be sure to include a clear picture so the old timers here can better help you :)

Click on the link below and repost your question. Seriously, There are some truly helpful and experienced people here :)

Axolotls (<i>Ambystoma mexicanum</i>) - Sick Axolotl? at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

I wish you and your Axi the best of luck, and my heart goes put to you :(

Tori
Thankyou :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back