Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Black sand from petco dyed my axolotl's face

lunatuna

Reaction score
Hello! I just got a juvenile Axolotl, and I put sand in the bottom of my cycled tank but forgot to rinse it off first. The water is totally clear and I let it filter for a day and put my axolotl in. I took him out to feed him in another container and noticed his face was covered in black dots. I don't know if this is bad for him and I'm super worried. I wont put him back in the tank until I figure this out but the sand dye won't come off his face... he seems fine other than that but I don't know if I should get rid of the sand or if it's okay for his face to get a little dirty. It is aquarium sand, and it was not opened (until I opened it). Please help a fellow newbie! :confused: The sand is petco brand, and I usually refuse to buy anything from that store but I am currently on a campus with no reputable pet stores around.

willowcat

Reaction score
Contact the person that you bought the pup from and ask them, if, by chance, they can remember if, what they sold you was a freckled Leucy. Freckles become more pronounce with age.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I have two freckled leucy, have had them for about 2-3 months. One had freckles right away and the other one just recently started her freckles. I also have petco brand black sand, but only rinsed it lightly. Is your little guy white with red gills and black eyes? If so, I don't think you need to worry :)

lunatuna

Reaction score
He had no freckles the first day he arrived, but freckles the next day, but I have been keeping him in a sand free tank now and he still has them, he seems pretty happy though! Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,345

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Its usually advised not to keep Axolotls on sand until they're around 4", and it could put on some weight as well tbh

lunatuna

Reaction score
Its usually advised not to keep Axolotls on sand until they're around 4", and it could put on some weight as well tbh
The picture on the right is right after he came in. He wasn't very healthy when I first got him, but he is growing like a weed now. Thanks for the advice though...

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Those are definitely freckles my dear. I can imagine the fright he gave u though!

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Axies try to blend with the substrate sometimes. If u put a melanoid on white sand, it will start to look grayish. Putting ur little guy on black sand brought out the freckles my friend.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Axies try to blend with the substrate sometimes. If u put a melanoid on white sand, it will start to look grayish. Putting ur little guy on black sand brought out the freckles my friend.

Wait, does that mean my dirty Lucie will loose some of there freckles when I move them into the talk with white sand?? I think I need to rethink my substrait! I love my dirty Lucies!

tammyaxie

Reaction score
They may or they may not but I read that younger axies do change more than matured ones.

lunatuna

Reaction score
That is so cool! Thanks for telling me that cool fact! It scared me a lot, but he's doing great (and the freckles remain). Because I know they're freckles now, I love the look :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1