Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to catch skinks underneath coloumn?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Okay, so there are two skinks on/inside my back porch. My curiosity got the best of me, and I now want to know what species that they are. But the only problem is in order to identify the species (3 in my range) you have to catch one. That is easier said than done, because they are the most flighty animals I have ever seen! Even anoles, renowned for their cowardness let me get close enough to see them But these guys have a little house and before I can even open the door they run back underneath their home (a column) and my initial strategy was to wait for them to come out and bait the entrance with a prey item and it almost worked (I saw a tail) so does anyone else have any ideas?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Oh, and by the way the 3 species that I narrowed it down to in my range are five-lined skinks, southeastern five-lined skinks, and broad-head skinks

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Put out a couple of flat boards 2'x2' or 2'x4' sheets of tin or 1/8" plywood should work. They will use the tin when it's cooler and the plywood when it's a little warmer. Just lift it up and they will be under there.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Well I did it and caught one, turns out they are American five-lined skinks, thanks for the help!

C

Cliygh and Mia

Well, I feel like a newb right now
grief.png
When my family left to go to the Georgia milestone tests on Wednesday, I left his cage unlocked by accident. And he got out. I believe that he is in the vents now, because there is nowhere else he could be (we looked everywhere for him) so I am going to be trying to find a way to purge him from the vents

C

Cliygh and Mia

Does anyone know how to get him out of the vents safely?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Well we almost caught him, but it was very fast, and intelligent, like a jurassic park raptor. Does anyone know how to get the little guy?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!