Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spike in nitrites

cabbysarus

Reaction score
We just had a huge spike in nitrites in our tank. The poor little axies did not like it one bit... but they are in a different tank now with mostly fresh water (and a little from the tank because I was afraid of freaking them out with all new water) My question is... Should we do a water change in the tank with massive amounts of nitrite that the axolotls are not in at the moment, or just let it go so the tank will continue with setting up the nitrogen cycle?

keiko

Reaction score
If you can keep the axolotls in another tank then you don't have to do water changes to bring the nitrites down, but you do need to do probably daily water changes in the tank where the axies are if it's not cycled. If it takes a while for the nitrites to come down you might need to add some ammonia in the tank too so the ammonia -> nitrite cycle isn't hurt.
Or you could do a big water change to bring the nitrites down (at the same time make sure there isn't anything rotting in the tank), put the axies back in, and keep a close eye on the water parameters while doing more frequent water changes until the cycle is back in balance.

cabbysarus

Reaction score
I will, of course, be doing very frequent water changes in the tank they are currently in. Its not cycled, nor does it have a filter. It's also a lot smaller than the other tank. :/ Hopefully this will just be a very temporary situation though.

cabbysarus

Reaction score
So we did a water change in the big tank, and the nitrites are still waaayyy too high... Any idea on what we can do to get this back under control so my little axies can go back home?

cabbysarus

Reaction score
Nitrites and Nitrates are super high now. I've been doing water changes frequently and nothing has changed... Do I just need to start over? I really don't like having all my babies in a tiny uncycled tank with no filter...

KCKme

Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert. Had a nitrite/nitrate spike in both an axolotl tank and a goldfish tank - at separate times. It took a couple of weeks each to calm down with 20%-30% water changes every day as well as a good scrubbing of decorations and rinsing of filter media (in dechlorinated water). Had to make sure there was an ammonia source to maintain the cycle. I've only had tanks for 6-7 months now, so I can't say if there is a better way. This is just what happened to work for me.

cabbysarus

Reaction score
After my water changes the only levels that seam to be going down are the nitrates. Not the nitrites witch is what scares me about putting my little axies back in. You would think with no source of ammonia, some of the nitrites would die off... but it hasn't worked as of yet. Its so very frustrating! :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1