Skinny newt!?

Senryo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I got a female and a male ribbed newt, but the female shows some INDENTS just infront of her back legs.

She has eaten though, her belly is round, just like the males, I fed them yesterday, I feed them half a cube of frozen bloodworms every other 2 days.

So they will get more tomorrow.

Is this just how they're build though, or is there something wrong?

They're not that old yet I presume, they're 5 to 8 cm's I assume, can't measure them properly they never sit still. They either walk, hide, or sometimes swim.

Sometimes they also swim to their surface to get "air" is this normal?

Sincerely, concerned parent :3

EDIT: it's worse on one side than the other, the other side is barely noticeably...

It would be easier if you could post a picture, but newly purchased newts are often a little on the skinny side. Bloodworms are no good as a staple diet, they contain a lot of water and are low in calcium so its especially important not to rely on them for young, growing newts. Their day to day diet should be based on Earthworms or high quality amphibian pellets, if they are getting worms or pellets every other day they'll soon bulk up

Don't know where to get some earthworms, and I am not the type to go dig in the mud, so pellets you say hmmm?

If my LFS has no earthworms, pellets would do fine, you say?

They do sell "reptile" food, and I read that these are fine, ish?

Got myself a new scooter (main transport for the young ones here, got no money for a car, or license ridiculously expensive here) so I will be getting some like tomorrow.

Thanks mate!

All the love to you folks, wouldn't know what to do without you <3

Pellets that are made for newts/salamanders would work fine, as would carnivore and salmon pellets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back