Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bad reaction

Mozza

Reaction score
So I have three tiger salamanders, I have read a few things on here which says that I should be feeding them earth worms instead of crickets as a staple diet, so attempting this two of my salamanders they ate two halves and that's all well and good, I tried to feed the other one a worm and it flipped out and went crazy running all around the tank and it was like he was really stressed has anyone got any ideas of why this happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teeglor

Reaction score
That is rather strange...

I put a pill bug in my tank for my tiger to hunt once. He didn't notice, and when the bug brushed up against him he let out a squeak! lol

I'm guessing it startled him since he rarely gets pill bugs and crickets.

Maybe your guy was startled or scared of the worm? Or maybe he just really wanted to escape for some reason. :p

Try hand feeding it to him next time, perhaps that will ease him.

RPM

Reaction score
What type of earthworms are they?
Did the one that went crazy eventually eat the worm and settle down?
Depending upon the size of your tigers, try feeding this one whole worms. Some are put off a little by the taste of the raw end of cut nightcrawlers.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen salamanders behave like that with red wrigglers before, especially chopped ones. They usually try to rub their mouths on the substrate to get rid of the foul taste at the same time.

Mozza

Reaction score
He did calm down as soon as the worm was the other side of the tank and was being chomped on by one of the others it was just really strange he wouldn't go anywhere near it even.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1