Guidance and Stress clarification

wericd

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife and I just rescued Boblotl ("Bobble" or "Bob" for short) from a research lab. I have scoured the internet in preparation, but there are a couple of things that I don't quite grasp. I am very ignorant about the species, and aquatic life in general, so my web searches are limited to those containing the word, “axolotl” because I don't know if what applies to salamanders (for example) applies to axies.

1. Our tank is too small for Bob. He is about 6 inches at this point in a 10 gallon tank. We are looking to upgrade ASAP but I am immediately concerned about his hidey hole. His tail sticks out and his body snuggly fits. Is this enough of a hide that he can feel safe?

2. I understand that poor conditions lead to stress, but I don't understand the timetable. For me personally, I have stressful days but I also have weeks where I am irritable throughout. Bob has lived his entire life (6 months) in a small (guessing 3 gallon) plastic tank. Today, we drive him across town to his new home and try to get him settled in. I am sure this was a STRESSFUL day for him. His tail is not curled, but his gills rest perpendicular, or slightly forward, to his body. In which sense might he be stressed?

BTW, he has happily eaten 2 shrimp pellets, so that is a good sign. His head is about the size of his body. Thanks for your help.

Usually their gills will be curled far forward over their face when stressed. A slight curl forward is normal. Another sign of stress can be frantic swimming or lots of swimming. Make sure you test the parameters regularly (at least once a week in a cycled tank but more often if you are in the process of cycling your tank. i would just ensure conditions are good and monitor. He is probably just getting used to his new home.

I would probably offer a bigger hide if he only just fits in snuggly so he has a bit more room to manoeuvre in the hide.

Thanks for your input. I am measuring the tank twice a day and keeping a log as well. Bob isn't doing much swimming around either, the tank is 65 degrees at the moment. I will pick up a better hide tomorrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back