Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axis not eating.

tammyaxie

Reaction score
My axis are not as greedy as they used to be. They will turn away from a squirming second piece of earthworm. They are also not growing. They are about 3.5 months. They are about 3" and I try to feed them half a worm each everyday. They are down to quarter worm a day. Also my wild type loves to gulp air and is only content when he's had enough air to keep him floating at the surface. Water is all fine. Also, I feed the worms kale and Potato skin. What can I do?

tammyaxie

Reaction score
e801f0432d024a0132a9464b17b16709.jpg

Why is Chai lying like this?

kcoscia

Reaction score
What are "fine" water parameters? What are the exactly? How's temperature?
Not eating is a usual sign of illness, especially in guys this age/size, and illness is usually related to stress.
Mine do weird leg things sometimes and I tend to hold off feeding that day to see if they're trying to pass a big poop lol
Is it possible they've ingested sand and are blocked?
Just some thoughts, nothing accusatory!

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. They were fridged last night, passed big poops and are now munching as before. Guess they were a little constipated. And no they are not fed on the sand. They have a bowl but are mostly hand fed their worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1