Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving Tips

laulen

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any moving tips to cause the least stess possible. I'm going home for the summer and i have two axies that need to be kept separate during the trip because they haven't been introduced yet. My biggest problem will be getting them over a pass of sharp curvy mountain turns. Any ideas for minimal sloshing of water on the turns?

kcoscia

Reaction score
I didn't have to go far or do crazy turns, but what I did when I moved was:
Bagged each individually in large bags from petco, with decent air and some Seachem Prime
Put the bags in an empty 5 gal bucket and traveled with them on the floor of the passenger seat.
If you're going far, you could get like a Styrofoam beverage cooler (my dollar store has them) and use the bag method too? Maybe use packing materials or towels to prevent and bag movement in the container.

laulen

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm not sure if that would work. My axolotls are full grown, so I'm not sure if they'd fit in a bag. Also, the car trip will be around three hours, and I'm afraid of suffocating them... Thank you for the suggestion, though!

rachel1

Reaction score
They will fit in a bag, you just need to buy the right size. They make bags that can hold 10 gallons, which is way bigger than you need. If you put 2/3 water, 1/3 air in a good sized bag they will do great for a couple hours. I would bag each individually and pack the bags securely in a cooler, maybe with some ice if it's a warm trip. You might consider fasting them a few days to a week before your trip so they are less likely to foul the water. They often release their digestive tract when stressed. Bags are probably the safest bet. I have also used cleaned plastic buckets with lids-the kind kitty litter comes in works well. There will probably be more sloshing and a greater risk of spills in a bucket.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1