Injured arm?

Kochebi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Em
My adult albino, Ogo, who seems to be quite the problematic lotl, has found a new way to freak me out. Thanks Ogo.

Within the past few days he has stopped using his left arm/front leg. He keeps it tucked up by his side and tries his best not to move it. I've seen him occasionally move it, so I don't think its fully broken, but I'm still very concerned. His gills seem fine, his tail's not curling, and so far there doesn't seem to be any discoloration of his skin, but there does seem to be minor swelling/inflamation. He seems a little lethargic, but that could also be because - due to a recent temperature drop that froze my apartment up - the tank dropped to a chilly 55℉ or so. He's still eating, but he seems to take his time while eating.

I'm just worried about him. I'm really hoping it's not an infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like I should also mention I keep their (Ogo lives with Kenway, a juvenile golden albino) tank salted. I had a problem with ick while cycling, so ever since then I've added 1/2 tbsp of API freshwater salt per gallon of water.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMAG1295_1.jpg
    IMAG1295_1.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG1290.jpg
    IMAG1290.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMAG1288.jpg
    IMAG1288.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 155
Uploading another pic from this morning. His left arm still looks swollen :/

Attachments

• IMAG1297.jpg
    IMAG1297.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 188
Is there something in the tank he could have gotten it wedged in? What's the size difference from the juvenile, could they have had a bad interaction?? If it gets any worse I'd consider quarantine to relieve any stress and maybe a call to a local vet. Hope it gets better. :(

Is there something in the tank he could have gotten it wedged in? What's the size difference from the juvenile, could they have had a bad interaction?? If it gets any worse I'd consider quarantine to relieve any stress and maybe a call to a local vet. Hope it gets better. :(

Hey there, thanks for replying. I did end up having him quarantined for awhile, but he seemed kinda depressed in the tank, if that's at all possible. He didn't move at all for like a day and it freaked me out.

I ended up putting him back in the main tank before he healed, and he started becoming active again. His tank mate is actually smaller than him, but I think he's scrappier haha.

His arm has now healed up though. The swelling is all but gone (there's a small bump on his arm but I'm watching it. It's not discolored or anything. I'm thinking it might just be his body making a mistake and growing a little extra? Since one of the fingers on that same arm already splits in to two at the end haha) and he's using his leg again. He doesn't seem to be under any stress, except their tank is getting warm but that's getting fixed soon.

Again, thanks for the advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back