Axolotls Gill Tips Suddenly White Help!

ClockworkParrot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I walked by my tank and noticed that three of the gill tips on my leucistic and one on my golden went completely white and I am at a loss as to what could be the problem. It doesnt look like fungus .. just like the very tips and filaments went stark white. I dont think they were like that this morning and I know for a fact they werent yesterday.

I got them both to move around and their gills went bright except for those spots.

I tested my water:
Temp: 63
Ammonia and Nitrite: 0

My nitrate is the only thing I am not sure on. I lost my api water test chart and had to use photos online but I think its at 40. It may have been a bit darker but it was looking red orange not the pinker shades that I know are bad.

I treated the situation like I did when I found they had a bit of fungus about 8 months ago so I already went ahead and did a 40% water change, scrubbed their tank and gave them some worms. Both ate and are acting fine. I am just wanting to catch any problems that might be occurring before it becomes worse.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

I know the gills turn a slightly greyish white if they are being affected by the amount of ammonia in the water. Maybe the Nitrate levels affect it that way too? Either way, I don't think it would hurt to do daily water changes just in case. Make sure you're conditioning your water.

Update when you can!

I walked by my tank and noticed that three of the gill tips on my leucistic and one on my golden went completely white and I am at a loss as to what could be the problem. It doesnt look like fungus .. just like the very tips and filaments went stark white. I dont think they were like that this morning and I know for a fact they werent yesterday.

I got them both to move around and their gills went bright except for those spots.

I tested my water:
Temp: 63
Ammonia and Nitrite: 0

My nitrate is the only thing I am not sure on. I lost my api water test chart and had to use photos online but I think its at 40. It may have been a bit darker but it was looking red orange not the pinker shades that I know are bad.

I treated the situation like I did when I found they had a bit of fungus about 8 months ago so I already went ahead and did a 40% water change, scrubbed their tank and gave them some worms. Both ate and are acting fine. I am just wanting to catch any problems that might be occurring before it becomes worse.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Did you ever figure it out? My leucistic has one white gill tip and lost the filaments on that tip!!

Bumping this super old post because I'm having the same problem with one of my lotls and can't seem to find any answers on the internet. I have an albino axolotl with very pale gill tips that seem to be shrinking. Seems otherwise very healthy, in with two very healthy tankmates. I gave her a tea bath in case it was fungus related but no change, and I do regular 50% water changes very week.

Strange. at first I was thinking Fungus, but when I looked on the internet their was nothing really on it. but make your lotls continue to swim and eat normally.

Update on my lotl: I have Hiccup a tea bath for a week and ever since her gills stalks have been pink and healthy. Still not sure what caused it, but she seems completely healthy now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back