What colour? / when do I know if I have any unusual ones.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondered at what age can I tell what colour my babies will be and if I have any unusual ones? I have heard that their colour can change a lot. They all seem to be wild types at the moment some are lighter some are darker with the wild colouring on top and then either side of their face and body they have lighter almost white/yellow. Is it possible that I have a chimera or would it be noticeable by now. Reason I'm asking is the lady I bought harley from didn't notice him until he was older. I doubt I have one just curious :)

Attachments

• 2015-04-23 16.48.57.jpg
    2015-04-23 16.48.57.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 20150423_220547.jpg
    20150423_220547.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 2015-04-24 09.49.10.jpg
    2015-04-24 09.49.10.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 180
When I say chimera I mean any kind of unusual one piebald mosaic anything. Even a leucistic one (i know they arent rare/unusual) are they definitely all wilds.

I haven't been able to tell until the babies are somewhere between 2-3 inches long. Before that, I can tell from the eggs (or later the larvae) if I am going to get albinos or wild types but that is about it...

They are now nearly an inch and look like they are all dirty luecistics thank you :) I have been told and do realise they lose a lot of there dirty bits when they are growing and you can tell as you say at around 2-3 inches

Attachments

• 2015-05-17 10.14.56.jpg
    2015-05-17 10.14.56.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 155
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back