Nitrites!! :(

cabbysarus

Reaction score
Country
United States
My nitrites are still at about 2ppm. I have 6 little axolotls in a 10 gallon, unfiltered, uncycled tank. They have been there for a week while trying to get my nitrites down. I had another post about this but no one seams to be seeing it and I'm freaking out so here we go again. I have been doing daily water changes in both tanks (twice a day in the little tank). The only levels that change in the big tank after the water change is the nitrate. Nitrate is going down after water change. Nitrite is staying stupidly high after water change. What am I doing wrong? I want my little axolotls to go back home so they can have personal space again.

Don't panic. Keiko gave some good advice. You don't need to do water changes in the large tank unless there is aquatic life in there though an occasional one can boost it along if it has stalled. What is the ammonia level? Are you feeding an ammonia source? Just be patient. It will stay high and then all of a sudden it will drop significantly. It takes a while. Just make sure that you are still providing a source of ammonia while there is no aquatic life in the tank to maintain the cycle until ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

here lately I've only been doing enough of a water change in the big tank to put the old tank water from the little tank in it. ammonia is still reading at like a .25-.50 and nitrite is still about 2. The thing that worries me the most is the nitrate is only at about 5 ppm now... It was really high before we started doing the water changes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back