Salmon pellets serving question

sergiomcaro

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my question is in what way and how much do you feed salmon pellets to 4 axolotls so that everyone eats and the tank isn't filled with waist.

i bought the ones advertised on the forum. i have 4 axies 3 are 5 inches on is 3 inches. i put about a tablespoon of food in a day. i used a low to the ground reptile bowl front and center of the tank.

the tank is 55gal receives weakly 15% water changes, conditioned with stress coat, fine sand 1 inch high substrate, 2 eheim ecco pro canister filters (1 60 gal, 1 90 gal) with spray bars, a 80 gall chiller, and coralife uv sterilizer, i know how to cycle a tank correctly i only need feeding tips.

2 of them had a hard time finding the pellets even though i fed them in the same place every day. as a result i would place more and more pellets. tank amoinia and acidity levels ended up crashing coupled with horrid odder and an algae bloom to boot. i have removed the lotles and put them in safe small separate bpa free containers that i change the water for daily. i am doing a new tank cycle. i dont want to run into the same problem again. iv been trying hand fed red wiglers but the other 2 wont touch them. i prefer to us the pellets

If axolotls are overfed salmon pellets will foul the water. I would back off on the amount of feed. A 3 to 5 inch axolotl does not need to be fed every day. I wouldn't use stress coat with water changes. Water changes should help with water quality and decrease bioload. The organic ingredients in stress coat add some to the bioload. I prefer a bare bottom tank. When I kept fish aquariums with gravel or sand on the bottom I would occasionally stir the medium so trapped waist would not go anaerobic.

I use salmon pellets as a staple for all of my axolotls except small larvae. I supplement with blackworms, bloodworms, and belgian earthworms. I find that the belgian earthworms are taken faster than red wigglers by salamanders.

I think the biggest problems are overfeeding and trapped waste.

thank you so much for all that info means a lotl. just curious though.... what conditioner do you use for water changes?

I use API Tap Water Conditioner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back