Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild Type or other

craigw

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if you would class this guy as a wild type

Attachments

• P3240002 copy.jpg
    P3240002 copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_9064 copy.jpg
    IMG_9064 copy.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 541

auntiejude

Reaction score
Re: Wild Typ or other

Yes. He has brown and black markings as well as yellow/green coloring, and iridophores.

craigw

Reaction score

Thanks auntiejude... he is very green under blue light

Attachments

• IMG_8761 copy.jpg
    IMG_8761 copy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,260

TheAxolotlMan

Reaction score
Sorry didn't check to see were craigw was. Only looked at black light picture. The pic under normal light looks like a very light wildtype.

craigw

Reaction score

When I first seen him in the shop tank the tank was cloudy as there was 6/8 just came into the shop tank.. All I seen was his colour and the fact it is a male.. I am short of males so I took him home thinking he was a Copper. It was not until a few days later I seen the ring around his eye.

rachel1

Reaction score

I think here anyway, the copper has an eye ring. Does the pupil reflect red? The reduced pigment in shades of red makes me think copper as well. Black is diluted to brown, green is diluted to tan- looks like the melanin is not being manufactured correctly.

rachel1

Reaction score

I meant the center of the eye, not the ring around it. It looks red in the second picture. Coppers have the gold ring, but the middle of the eye is red like in an albino.

craigw

Reaction score
That's right .. reflects a gold colour in the middle of the eye with the ring around the outside..... the middle of the eye is not reflecting red its more of a gold colour

craigw

Reaction score
maybe it looks a gold colour because of the torch globe spectrum....... I see what you mean in the 2nd photo it dose look more red from the camera flash

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1