New Axolotl Mommy :)

Alice0099

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Allison
So this is speck, He ( or she ) is my new axolotl that I got today, the breeder was so nice and super helpful and I love my new axolotl, but I would like to know if anyone else has any tips or information for me that they can share. Thank you :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1430076168427.jpg
    FB_IMG_1430076168427.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 312
  • FB_IMG_1430088305223.jpg
    FB_IMG_1430088305223.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 156
He ( or she ) is about 5" and so cute! He ( or she ) is a little ball of energy.:ufo::grin:

This is levi, my brothers golden albino.

Attachments

• 20150426_161913.jpg
    20150426_161913.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 164
Congratulations! Your new addiction starts here!

There is nothing quite so cute as a baby leucistic axolotl (except maybe Red Pandas, I'm still undecided)

You probably know the golden rules by now if you're already on the board, but:

- No Gravel (or anything smaller than their entire head, or they WILL eat it)
- No or very little lighting, it stresses them out. They like gloom.
- Low water flow, they are from lakes, not rivers
- Cool water; warmer than 21c and you need to start worrying.
- As big a tank as poss! Big tanks are so much easier to look after.
- Lots and lots and lots of hidey places! When I bought my very first axolotls I was told not to buy any hides or else they'd hide away and I wouldn't see them. Seems like such a ridiculous thing to say, surely if they hide, it means they like hiding, not that I should stop them doing it!!

And.. as soon as they're big enough.. EARTHWORMS for dinner.

And remember the gallery forum page for lots of pictures please!!! :D

That is awesome thank you, I already knew about the gravel and hides but when I bought their hide and put it in they didn't seem to like it, its a pot with two big ' broken ' spots in it, I know its big enough but they just sit on top of it. Is that odd?

After a while with axolotls you re-evaluate your perception of 'odd'.

XTHlhR4.jpg

Definitely keep hides in.

Sometimes they'll sit on it, in it, under it, over it, down the side of it, whatever they feel like!

In my experience, the cosier the better. I made a whole heap of hides using aquarium sealant and river stones, and by far the most popular is the smallest. Oh, and this ridiculously tiny cave:

x22z73o.jpg

Okay thank you so much, These adorable creatures continue to surprise me, they are so amazing and I am glad I got some.

They're delightful, they really are!

Yep, speck, my leucistic, loves to swim around and jump up to gulp air, at first I was worried but then the breeder I got him from said that it was occasionally normal

Watch out for any sharp corners or edges on things in the tank. I learned the hard way when first starting out to check anything that is going into the tank so your little one doesn't get hurt. Some of the caves made for fish have really rough edges especially inside :eek:

My current hide is a pot with holes in it, all of it is smooth, but I will look out for that when I buy more :).

Attachments

• 20150427_151221.jpg
    20150427_151221.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 146
As Mewsie says, you quickly redefine 'normal' when you love a lotl. What is normal about axies is that they are very very strange creatures. And very individual in their behaviour. Because, like all of us, you are now hopelessly addicted and will spend countless hours watching your new axolotl, you will soon learn what is 'normal' for your little one. My Boris loves to hang, motionless, from his plants by a finger or a toe, in the strangest of positions. Or cling, limpet-like, to his volcanic rock, upside-down. Or float for a bit, before gracefully descending to his thinking platform. Endless entertainment. Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of the axolotl!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back